Well, I already have an article on that, but, there is a little confusion about the process out there at the moment, especially with the changes in the application process and the incorporation of a new practical element.
Renew or Reapply?
So, technically, there is no such thing as a renewal. You are reapplying for a licence.
As such, much of the process is the same.
- Download and fill in the form – available here
- Pay the application fee at a local postshop ($126.50)
- Get two mugshots of yourself
- Deliver all this to the police (I would suggest your local arms-office) – make sure you take:
- Your application
- Proof of payment
- Two recent passport style photos
- Three documents to prove your identity
- Your existing firearms licence
- Once this is lodged, the AO will contact you to organise an interview and security check
- An AO will come out, interview you, and your references (just like the first time) and check your security is still in place
- While the AO is there, when reapplying, you will get asked a series of questions, that you can find on the back page of the application form
The theory test and the new practical training
The biggest question I get asked – is, ‘when I ‘renew’ my licence – do I need to go through the practical training?’
No – there is currently no requirement to do so, nor do you have to sit the theory test.
When reapplying for the license – you instead have to answer the questions on the back of the application with an AO.
So. The process is very similar to a new application, however, instead of the theory and practical test, you answer the questions for the AO during the interview.
This is the process if you have a current firearms licence, and want to ‘renew’ or reapply for a new one, while the existing one is still valid2 – if you let the licence expire, or, you have the licence taken away from you – you may be required to go through the full process.
Originally published: October 19, 2018
Lasted updated: November 1, 2018
- Team Optimistic Shooters AAR and Beers. - December 6, 2018
- The Crossover Rifles – a Tikka CTR and Bergara HMR - November 29, 2018
- A chat with Travis Ishida from ConX, NRL, NRL22 and more! - November 28, 2018
- AAR – Tarata Medium Range and Hunter’s Match - November 27, 2018
- Catching up with Robin from Redding Reloading - November 21, 2018
It just starts with the gear!
We also have a range of training courses available. Learn how to set up that new rifle, use a rear bag properly, calculate a ballistic solution and wrap it all around proper fundamentals.